Our life while battling childhood cancer - join us as we laugh, cry, and learn

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Daily Thanksgiving

For me, it goes without saying that i am thankful for family, friends, Children's Hospital of WI and its wonderful staff, a life full of first world comforts and the ability to give to others. I find that having a sense of gratitude toward the mundane helps me stay sane. So, here's a gratitude list for the Thanksgiving season.

I am thankful for ...
  1. aluminum foil - it's great for preventing cat pee from soaking into the carpet.  Cats are supposed to avoid foil, but my cat thinks it's a good place to "go."
  2. swimming, gymnastics, and cello lessons, so I can watch my daughter use her talents and abilities
  3. caller ID - so happy to avoid the 3-4 campaign calls we got per day
  4. pill organizers
  5. my stash of 100s of stickers- they've come in handy for behavior charts.
  6. finding stuff in winter clothes - It's always nice to put hands in your pockets for the first time each season and BAM - you find the gloves you though you'd lost!  Last year I found money in a pocket.
  7. living in a Democracy and having the right to vote, even though I didn't get a sticker this year
  8. good cheese, red wine, and chocolate
  9. ( and I'm thankful that the above don't induce migraines)
  10. Sirius XM Radio and singing and/or laughing at songs from the 80s and 90s with Trevor
  11. Pez - earlier this year they likely saved us from calling an ambulance when Nick's blood sugar was very low
  12. coffee and coffee shops and their yummy treats
  13. being able to watch my son learn to read and write, to see his love of Shel Silverstein's poems and desire to write poems of his own
  14. Netfilx on the iPad - I can carry it around the house while I do housework
  15. portable DVD players and headphones - makes holiday travel tolerable