Our life while battling childhood cancer - join us as we laugh, cry, and learn

Friday, January 23, 2009

Baking

I love to bake, but having a house full of muffins (my favorite and not too difficult to mess up) isn't ideal. Actually, it's been a couple months since I've made muffins, so I think I'll do that this weekend. My last few attempts at cookies have been failures, not sure what the deal was. Well, the main issue was overbaking, but even a minute can make a big, hard, crunchy difference, you know? Anyway, we found some silicone cake molds in the dollar section of Target a few months back and finally tried them out right before Christmas. Sorry for the picture overload.



Katherine spreads and tastes the scary blue icing (vanilla with food coloring)

At this stage she thought the tree was finished, but I got the okay to add a bit more frosting ...

She found a "Happy Birthday" decoration in our stash and was pleased she could use it when I reminded her Christmas is Jesus's birthday.



And a couple weeks ago I tried out a "quick cinnamon roll" recipe that called for buttermilk and no yeast. They were pretty good - a bit tangy with the buttermilk (I actually used Saco powder, a Wisconsin product) and biscuit-like. I went out on a limb and put egg nog into the powder sugar icing mixture, rather than more buttermilk, and it was quite tasty (if you're a fan of egg nog, of course).

1 comment:

Sally said...

Hey, the cookies weren't so bad!
And how do you manage to stay so lean w/ all this baking you do? :)
No wonder I don't bake, I'd be 300 pounds if I did :D