Our life while battling childhood cancer - join us as we laugh, cry, and learn

Friday, November 4, 2011

Halloween

Halloween ...always a fun time for the kids.  Heck, I love it, too.  The kids love to dress-up, pick and carve pumpkins, decorate the yard, and Trick or Treat.  I love the changing of the leaves, fall decor, the cooling temps, and pumpkin treats. This year Nicholas was VERY excited about Trick or Treating and dressing up.  He repeatedly asked which day ToT would occur ... I was thrilled to see him looking forward to something!

Halloween 2010

"robot arm" November 17, 2010
first blood transfusion
Halloween was pretty much a bust last year ... Nicholas was already pale and feeling crappy, didn't have any fun at the water-park that weekend and didn't last long trick or treating.  Things went down hill from there.  I remember cancelling plans with the neighbors one night in early November because he was crabby.  The next weekend my mom watched the kids overnight. I warned her that he'd been "off" and she said he seemed tired and generally not feeling well.  It was three days later that we took him to the doctor and discovered he was severely anemic.  That night he got a blood transfusion ... a 3 year old needed a blood transfusion?!  They did not yet suspect he had leukemia ... that happened 5 days later.
Ok, back on track ... the SC Johnson annual Halloween party pictures ...trick or treating and pumpkin and cookie decorating.



Nicholas, the mosquito, with a Raid mosquito
Finally, Trick or Treating in the neighborhood.  Whoa, do you see what I see?!  A family photo with all four family members!  Not exactly worthy of framing and hanging over the fireplace, but it's a keeper! For the first time in YEARS Trevor and I wore costume - it hit me "WHY NOT?!"  So, I'll waste some cash, but hey, it felt great to join in the fun. Trevor's costume was likely the biggest hit in the neighborhood.  We repeatedly heard, "Hey, look!  It's an Angry Bird!" 
Photo possible thanks to our house guests, Grammy and Grampy.

After a casual dinner with the neighbors, Katherine went out with friends and Trevor and I took Nicholas around.  He walked for a while - no stroller! - but eventually tired.  After finally calling it quits, K and her friends returned to the neighbors' house where they separated and traded candy.  Then she came home and taught Nicholas how to organize and swap his loot.  She also had to try on the Angry Bird costume. 

Trevor reminded me that 2 years ago Nicholas walked and walked and insisted on carrying a heavy bucket full of candy all by himself.  He had so much energy and a desire to keep up with Katherine.  Oh, that invincible toddler stage! It is bittersweet that he wouldn't/couldn't stay out that long this year, but I am simply thankful he CAN walk and that he CAN enjoy eating candy.  I am so thankful that he is growing and thriving and that he is still here with us ...

No comments: