Our life while battling childhood cancer - join us as we laugh, cry, and learn

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Slow purge


Signing up for the neighborhood garage sale in late May was the beginning of this latest purge.  I have participated in rummages before, but they've been coordinated by a group of people and were only for children's items.  Those were great, because all I had to do was tag and price the items, then drop them off.  Whatever didn't sell, I left behind as donations (and that was coordinated by group, too).

This was the first sale I'd had at my house. In the weeks before I went from room to room, closet to closet, picking out a few items that no longer needed to reside with us.  I threw a few things away, too, which is a big deal for me.  In the end, it was a  positive experience: we got rid of some stuff and made some money.  After the sale I took a couple boxes to Goodwill and a couple to the local fire station for Toys for Tots.  Yes, our local chapter takes used items all year.  

I've continued to find things that could have gone into the sale.  Unfortunately, I have put these items into my office, which at it's best is very cluttered, messy disaster (left).  Those things are down in the basement now.  I have given a couple small boxes of stuff to family and friends.  Right now our new croquet set is sitting in the office ... so you can see I need to find homes for things.  I need to purge more.  Right after this I want to tackle more, but there are so many places ...  I'll start in the office.  I will find 10 things to throw away!  I will file.  I will put the croquet set in the garage.  :-D

No comments: