Our life while battling childhood cancer - join us as we laugh, cry, and learn

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A few recipes

Here are a couple fast and easy recipes I've made lately. I'm all about fast and easy these days - teething toddler, whiny 5 year old, and all.

Chicken Taco Soup in the Crock pot
2 cans of diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 package of taco seasoning
1 medium red onion, diced (I often omit)
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can/bottle beer (I usually use chicken broth)
1 6oz can of tomato sauce
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients except chicken in crockpot and stir to mix in taco seasoning. Place chicken breasts on top, so that they are just covered by the soup mixture. Cook in the crock pot on high for 4-5 hours. Remove Chicken breasts, shred chicken and stir back into soup. Cook another 1-2 hours. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips, if desired.

Mushroom Bread
1 pkg (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent rolls
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place crescent rolls on 13 inch baking stone. Pinch seams together. Toss sliced mushrooms in melted butter to coat (I have sauted them). Arrange mushrooms on top of the dough. Sprinkle with cheese and Italian seasoning. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cut into wedges or squares and serve warm. Makes about 8-10 appetizer servings.

Microwave Chocolate Pudding
Whisk together:
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
3 T cornstarch

Slowly whisk in 2 cup of milk, so there are no lumps.

Microwave for 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave in 1 minute intervals for another 2-4 minutes until pudding is shiny and thick, then stir in 2 t vanilla. Place SaranWrap (other plastic wraps will destroy your creation - just kidding, Trevor works for the people who make Saran Wrap) on the surface to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I'll have to try the Taco soup one.
Anything that is good for the crock pot gives me a nice break :)